Monday, May 5, 2014

Growth and time

"No single event can awaken within
us a stranger totally unknown to us.
To live is to be slowly born."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
from For Today 
published by Overeaters Anonymous, Inc.



Growth takes time. This is an important point. Changes take time. I can do the work I need to do, but it still takes patience and persistence for those changes to happen. 

Patience is hard for me. I admit it - I want it now. I want to be thin now - I want to be brave now, I want to be healed now. What I need to remember is that it takes time to grow. The proof of this is all around me in nature. The trees begin life as a small little seed then grow to a little sapling then on to a large majestic tree - this all takes time. One doesn't see trees arrive fully grown right in front of us. Spiritual growth takes time as well. 

One of the keys to spiritual growth is the work it takes to fill up that time. Yes, it takes time, but that doesn't mean that's all that is required. Just like the trees I need certain things in my environment to support growth. For spiritual growth I must make a connection with my Higher Power and then continually nurture that connection. Given that and some time - growth is assured. I just need to have faith in the process. 

I'm sorry I haven't been around much lately - I've been fighting a nasty virus so haven't really felt up to much of anything except being sick. 

I'm back on my path now, so posts should occur more frequently.

No comments:

Post a Comment